‘(Our trainer was...) very good at regularly checking understanding. Lots of interaction. Made a dry subject much easier to take!’
This course is being run in partnership with The Benefits Training Company. It includes access to 12 months ongoing advice and support from The Benefits Training Co. via phone and email.
After attending this course, you will:
- Know who is covered by European Union law
- Understand the different residence tests for different benefits
- Know which groups have a right to reside
- Be able to advise on the main factors that are relevant in establishing habitual residence
- Understand residence rights for workers, self-employed people and people with retained worker status
- Understand who has rights as a family member or carer
- Know when someone has a permanent right to residency
- Understand the additional restrictions which affect Croatian nationals
- Be aware of recent developments in legislation and how European nationals are affected.
Anyone who works with non-British European nationals. However, delegates do require a working knowledge of the benefits system.
People who are completely new to the benefits system are advised to attend our 'Introduction to Welfare Benefits' course beforehand.
Meet the trainer
David Stickland has been a Shelter trainer since 2003. He has extensive experience as a Citizens Advice and local authority benefits caseworker.
David now combines training with working in frontline advice. He is the lead trainer at The Benefits Training Co. and works as an adviser on a busy telephone advice service in London. He runs a large number of Shelter's Housing Benefit and Welfare Benefits courses.
Before becoming a benefits adviser, David worked abroad as an English language teacher where he developed an interactive training style that is engaging, informative and enjoyable.