‘Well placed course, good breadth of knowledge for someone with basic knowledge of housing and family law.’
Refugee Support Coordinator, British Red Cross
‘A really great course. Helpful to have the explanations about how the courts work and the basic housing law background.’
Housing Support Worker, Children's Social Care, Oxfordshire CC
- Occupation rights
- Civil remedies available under the Family Law Act 1996 (injunctions and transfers of tenancy applications)
- Protection from Harassment Act
- Local authority homelessness prevention initiatives to support victims of domestic violence who wish to remain in their homes
- Homelessness legislation in domestic violence cases
- Women or men with no recourse to public funds
- Signposting and referral to specialist domestic violence agencies.
After this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the occupation rights of individuals affected by domestic violence
- Understand the different civil and criminal legal options available to those who have been affected by domestic violence
- Identify local authority strategies that could make life safer for victims of domestic violence
- Understand how a victim of domestic violence may be able to make a homeless application.
People who give advice and support to those who have experienced domestic violence. Previous training in domestic violence awareness would be an advantage.
Meet the trainer
Deborah Winterbourne LLB, LLM, BSc, MA, MSc has run hundreds of domestic violence courses for Shelter for over ten years. She is an expert in legal remedies for victims of domestic violence and her trainings cover a diverse range of issues such as housing, homelessness, injunctions, property rights, forced marriage, trafficking, children law, criminal law, FGM, divorce and cohabitation.
Deborah qualified as a solicitor in 1991 and has a masters degree in public international law. She has worked in private practice as a solicitor and for national and international organisations covering a wide range of laws. She is also a qualified psychotherapist.