‘Very thorough, gave a great overview of all workings of HB. Useful for someone with little or no experience on the subject.’
Services Officer, Aspire
‘Trainer had great knowledge and answered all questions thoroughly. He stopped regularly to make sure we all understood.’
Housing Manager, West London YMCA
This course is being run in partnership with The Benefits Training Company. It includes access to 12 months ongoing advice and support from The Benefits Training Co. via phone and email.
- Factors that affect Housing Benefit entitlement
- Eligibility rules for Housing Benefit
- Rent liability - what it means
- Eligible rent
- 'Non-income' factors which reduce Housing Benefit entitlement
- How income is assessed
- How income reduces Housing Benefit entitlement
- The amount the government says you need to live on
- The Benefit Cap
- Making successful claims and getting paid
- Discretionary Housing Payments.
After attending this course, you will:
- Be able to advise people on their eligibility for Housing Benefit
- Have gained an understanding of how Housing Benefit is calculated
- Be aware of changes in circumstances that affect entitlement
- Know how to make a claim and when payment should start
- Be aware of the most common problem areas and possible solutions
- Have an understanding of how Housing Benefit will change, including the effect of Universal Credit
- Have an awareness of how the Discretionary Housing Payment schemes are managed locally and how to make effective applications.
Anyone who works with tenants of a council, housing association or private landlord.
Meet the trainer
David Stickland has been a Shelter trainer since 2003. He has extensive experience as a Citizens Advice and local authority benefits caseworker.
David now combines training with working in frontline advice. He is the lead trainer at The Benefits Training Co. and works as an adviser on a busy telephone advice service in London. He runs a large number of Shelter's Housing Benefit and Welfare Benefits courses.
Before becoming a benefits adviser, David worked abroad as an English language teacher where he developed an interactive training style that is engaging, informative and enjoyable.