Please note: this course was previously called 'Disrepair and Conditions: The Legal Framework'.
- What is meant by disrepair (and limitations)
- Repairing obligations and liabilities of landlords
- Basic rights of tenants with respect to disrepair
- Overview of the remedies that are available and how they apply and can be used in different circumstances
- Statutory nuisance and use of the Environmental Protection Act 1990
- What local authorities can achieve and self-help remedies
- The Housing Health and Safety Rating System and enforcement under the Housing Act 2004
- Introduction to legislation applicable to houses in multiple occupation under the Housing Act 2004
- Basic framework on the financial assistance that local authorities may provide under new powers
After this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the legal liabilities arising from a lack of maintenance
- Understand what is 'disrepair' and its significance
- Identify options and possible routes of action to deal with housing conditions, and where to apply them
- Provide advice on how to secure legal remedies for housing condition problems.
Housing advisers and other housing advice workers who have a basic knowledge of the law on security of tenure.
Meet the trainer
Dr. Steve Battersby has been a trainer for Shelter for more than 25 years. Steve is a Chartered Environmental Health Practicioner and Fellow of both the CIEH and RSPH. He is a freelance environmental health and housing consultant. Steve is a member of the Health & Housing Group and has provided expert evidence in housing cases. He is an Associate of the Safe and Healthy Housing Unit at Warwick University and also of the School of Law at the University of Surrey. He also convenes the UK Housing Professional’s Forum for RH Environmental which includes a review of decisions under the Housing Acts in the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) and Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber).
Steve was President of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health from 2008-2011 and is currently a Vice President, and has Chaired the Pro-Housing Alliance launched in September 2011 and the National Private Tenants Organisation (Generation Rent).
Steve runs Shelter's Disrepair and Housing Conditions legal liabilities courses.