This course is being run in partnership with The Benefits Training Company. It includes access to 12 months ongoing advice and support from The Benefits Training Co. via phone and email.
After attending this course, you will:
- Understand who is affected by PIP and when
- Understand the eligibility conditions for PIP
- Have studied and feel confident with the assessment criteria
- Know how Disability Living Allowance claimants are affected by PIP
- Be able to advise on the assessment process from beginning to end
- Be able to confidently complete the assessment form
- Be able to make effective claims and tackle delays in the assessment process
- Be able to initiate an appeal
- Have an awareness of how PIP affects other benefits.
Anyone working with working age adults who have a physical, mental, learning or sensory disability or health problem.
Meet the trainer
David Stickland: London 23 March / London 26 July 2017
David has been a Shelter trainer since 2003. He has extensive experience as a Citizens Advice and local authority benefits caseworker.
David now combines training with working in frontline advice. He is the lead trainer at The Benefits Training Co. and works as an adviser on a busy telephone advice service in London. He runs a large number of Shelter's Housing Benefit and Welfare Benefits courses.
Before becoming a benefits adviser, David worked abroad as an English language teacher where he developed an interactive training style that is engaging, informative and enjoyable.
Paul Bradley: Manchester 15 August 2017
Paul is a caseworker for Perennial, (Gardeners’ Royal Benevolent Society) specialising in welfare benefits advice, as well as a trainer for The Benefits Training Co. From 2003 to 2015 he worked as a welfare benefits caseworker, trainer and tribunal coordinator for Merseyside Welfare Rights in Liverpool. In 2013 Paul started the Liverpool Tribunal Advocacy Project in collaboration with the Law Clinic at The University of Liverpool, providing useful experience and training in advocacy to law students. He has also provided welfare benefits training for Citizens Advice in Liverpool, The Centre of Lifelong Learning at The University of Liverpool, Liverpool John Moores University and The Diocese of Liverpool.