Following the EU referendum result the rights and responsibilities covered in these course notes won’t change unless new laws are passed. This will take time and we will update relevant courses when appropriate.
Please note: this course was previously called 'Security of Tenure: Advanced'.
- Tenancies and licences
- Termination: notice from tenant and surrender
- Joint tenancies
- Only or principal home
- Human rights and housing law
- Equality Act 2010 defences.
After this course, you will be able to:
- Evaluate whether a tenancy has come to an end by surrender or valid notice
- Identify a sub-tenancy and advise accordingly
- Identify a joint tenancy and advise accordingly
- Identify the broad issues relating to a Human Rights Act 1998 or Equality Act 2010 defence to possession proceedings.
Housing advisers or housing workers who have a good working knowledge of tenancy issues.
Meet the trainer
Ian Dunn has worked for Shelter as a trainer and consultant since 2004. He has been working and training in housing law for almost 20 years. As well as lecturing in social welfare law at the University of Westminster he has many years’ experience working with housing associations and local authorities providing tailored courses.
Ian excels at conveying complex information in an easy to understand way and adapting to the knowledge and experience of the group. Ian encourages interaction and questions from participants and has a warm, approachable manner.