- The operation of student housing accreditation schemes
- Different tenancies and licence possibilities for students who rent
- The law on joint tenancy agreements
- Rights of renters when renting privately
- Rights and security of tenure for students living in Halls of Residence
- Advice to students before signing a tenancy
- Rent deposit protection schemes and how to challenge unfair return/reductions at the end of the tenancy and sue for compensation for failure to protect the deposit
- Characteristics of assured shorthold tenancies - including how they are created and what the landlord must do to regain possession
- Notices for ending ASTs and other types of tenure
- The law on joint tenancies for both fixed term and periodic tenancies
- Advising students who want to leave their accommodation early
- Landlord's obligation to repair properties and keep them free of nuisance and hazards
- The law on harassment and illegal eviction
- Local authority regulation of accommodation often rented to students - including HMOs.
After attending seminar, you will be able to:
- Assist private tenants, resolve disputes and enforce rights
- Advise students about tenancy deposit protection schemes
- State what is different about a joint tenancy and a sole tenancy
- Explain the landlord's obligation to repair properties and how these rights can be enforced
- Advice students who are being harassed or have been illegally evicted.
Student advisers and others who have contact with students and are called upon to offer advice on housing issues.
Meet the trainer
John Shortridge has been a freelance trainer and consultant for over 15 years. He has written training materials on many aspects of housing and homelessness law, debt and welfare benefits and tailored courses on these themes for numerous local authorities, volunteer organisations, housing associations and colleges.
John was also an adviser for the Citizens Advice Bureau Service for 10 years. In June 2002 he completed the Common Professional Examination (Diploma in Law) with commendation.
John has a lively, interactive training style.